Apr 28, 2012

Putting in an IV

Mary came to visit yesterday.

Hajime still has an infection.  It is still green and it still has an odor.
It has been a week since he started antibiotics, but if things don't improve, it looks like he will have to switch to an IV (because the medication he needs can only be administered through an IV).
If we do an IV, he will have to go the hospital to place the pick-line. The normal size catheter lasts only two or three days, and even with a little longer catheter, it only lasts about a week. That is why they will have to insert a longer catheter that goes in his vein from his arm to his shoulder.
Just thinking about it makes me imagine how painful it must be, and I feel so sorry for him...but then this pick-line will be able to last longer than a month, so I think that's what they will do.

Whatever the case, I can only pray that this infection will clear up soon.

Also, his bedsores are a little pink and dry where the old skin is being replaced by the new skin, so we were told to put some cream on them.  But it looks like they are bleeding today, so it might be better to put a bandaid on them.

We had an assessment done on whether we can continue working with the palliative team.  As usual, we answered Mary's questions, and it was decided that we could continue.  When I think about it, I worry about what we would do if we didn't have this team (helping us).  They are working so hard for Hajime's sake that I can only pray that they can continue to do what they have been doing.

From last night, the tidal volume has been in the 300's, where it still is now.  This is not very good so we need to keep an eye on it.

(Translated by MS)

No comments:

Post a Comment